Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Home is Where the Heart Is

So, this is me and my beautiful first born, Maya. She is my only daughter,and has two crazy little brothers that are probably destroying something as I write. Originally I wanted to create a blog that was going to be awe inspiring, life changing, and spiritually satisfying. What I have decided is that what I really want to do is just write about my life and all the ups and downs that it entails. I am not going to strive to be poetic or philosophical, instead I have decided to just be real.  Which leads me to my first actual subject matter.

We moved to Phoenix about five months ago from the midwest, from the land of four seasons, rolling hills and prairie, to a land of sunshine, two seasons, mountains, and desert.  I love it here. I love the blue sky; I love looking at the horizon and the amazing mountains in the distance. I adore the sunshine, even though it brings with it heat that lasts and lasts....I also love meeting new people and having independence. I have especially loved the connection that my husband and I have as we take on the unknown.

But I miss home and all that home is. Yes, my home is my husband, my three beautiful children, and most of all my God. But home is also having the kind of friend you can call and invite yourself over for coffee. It is knowing where Jiffy Lube is when you need an oil change, or where everything is at the grocery store. For me, it is knowing which way is north and south since I have no sense of direction. It's seeing a place from your past and being brought back to sixteen years old in an instant.

Life is an adventure and I'm learning that my plan is really no plan at all. I'm learning that when I let go of my plan I can actually enjoy what is going on around me.  I'm learning to accept the moments of sadness that creep in and make me yearn for home and to relish the moments of joy and see all that is new for me to behold.

I am not sure what the future will bring, but I believe with all that is in me that no matter what, it will be good.

4 comments:

  1. I love you Shauna...I miss your logic and openness to discuss any topic, anytime, anywhere. I agree with everything you said and now I too want to blog. haha!

    Love Always, Christen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you too Christen, you always challenge me to go beyond my realm of understanding. I think of you often and would lvoe to read your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shauna! Love this - everything about it. Love your attitude, your words, and most of all you! These are words you know I can relate to, and just as a reminder, no matter how much you love where you are, you can always go back.

    Good work! Can I say I am a wee bit envious you found a way to start a blog. I have wanted to do this for a very long time. (ok, for as long as blogs have been in vouge). *MUAH*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear ya, Sister - Home - what and where is that?? I have asked myself this question many times in now what I see as our many moves. I am thrilled you are happy in Arizona and loved what you said about you and your hubby being closer b/c of the move - it is true. Much love to you, Shauna - know you are loving everyone you come into contact with there - that is just the woman you - who God made you to be - and he did an awesome job! :) Take good care!
    Love,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete