Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Good Enough

I've been thinking lately about perception. I am striving to see the best in people and understand that we all have good days and bad, and that behind every jerk is probably a scared little kid.I am trying to choose kindness over rightness, and love over fear.

I'm doing a pretty good job of this with other people, it's easy to accept others shortcomings, because ultimately they affect their lives not mine. However, treating myself with the same love is more of a challenge. It seems I always see the ways that I screw up, or how I almost most get things right. My mind tends to focus on what I've done wrong rather than celebrating what I've done right.

So, in the practice of changing my perceptions I decided to create a list of the things I have done if not right, good enough. I present:

 My Good Enough List

1.  I wear sunscreen, most days, at least on my face
2.  My children eat homemade whole wheat waffles, covered in imitation maple syrup.
3.  I eat right, with a diet full of veggies, fiber, lean protein, pretzels, wine, and popcorn
4.  I exercise a lot
5.  My husband and I have a pretty great relationship and he is my very best friend.
6.  I am good at saving money, I always buy what I don't need when it is on sale.
7.  I keep a pretty clean and organized house which leads to number 8
8.  I try not to let my kids watch too much TV
9.  I take my kids to the park and love to watch them play
10. I am a good listener and true friend, even from a 1000 miles away

And then there is number 11, which although they exhaust me, and I usually feel like I am failing more than succeeding, I think they are pretty amazing.


Perfection? It's all in your perception.

No comments:

Post a Comment